So this past week has been a bit stressful to say the least! Sky worked his last day in Sarasota on Wednesday and until about an hour ago we didn’t know where we were going next. The plan was to head north to either Boston or Chicago for the summer, and he even got a couple of offers. But for one reason or another nothing was panning out (IL wouldn’t expidite his license, etc).
Anyway, on Monday he applied for a position in a city we weren’t planning on going to until later in the year…but the time frame worked out well for the location, the pay was pretty good, and hell – it’s a job! Well, the problem was that he couldn’t seem to connect with the nurse manager to get an interview. He literally called her 3-4 times a day every single day this week! She kept saying she would interview him “tomorrow” but tomorrow kept coming and going without an interview which was getting super frustrating and worrisome.
So on Thursday we checked out of our apartment (still having no clue where we were moving), and headed up to Tampa to spend a couple of days with Skyler’s brother, Roy. We figured for sure we would know something by Friday or Saturday, right?!
Well, last night the nurse manager finally called him back and said he was the most persistent person she’s ever spoken to. But she still wasn’t ready to interview him…ugh! She said she would call him by noon today to let us know if she even had a need for a day shift traveler yet. Not encouraging!
So this morning we got up and started driving north and decided that by the time we hit the Florida state line we would have to decide whether we should continue north on home until we figured something out…or head west for this potential job – yes, I said west. At about 2:00 this afternoon we hit the FL/AL state line and pulled over to decide what we were gonna do. She still hadn’t called and his call went straight to her voicemail. We were so bummed and decided we should just drive home and hope things pan out next week.
Twenty minutes after making that decision his phone rang…it was her! Sky parked the truck and we sat in a parking lot for 35 minutes while he finally interviewed for the job we have been holding out for. By the end of the convo she told him she wants us to head west for him to begin work on Wednesday! This is the closest I think we have ever cut it and you cannot imagine our relief!
So, we backtracked a bit and are now in route for San Antonio, TX for 8 weeks! We are so excited!!! I immediately got online and booked us a hotel in New Orleans for the next 2 nights and then we will be TX bound! I am now just praying the condo I found is still available…on the Riverwalk. Wow! What a day/week/life! I have said many times that I’m sure God is using this time in our lives to teach us to have faith in His plan for us…because there’s no way we could plan things to happen the way they do!
On another note, I have been writing a lot on this road trip so as soon as I get an Internet connection I can hopefully catch up so my blog is closer to real time (or at least within a couple of weeks – instead of months like now). I’m writing this one on my iPhone which is a pain so the others will have to wait. Thanks for your patience and for all the well wishes for our travels! God Bless!